Max Eham (1915–2008)
was born in Bergham near Miesbach. He received his theological and musical training on the Cathedral Hill in Freising. After his ordination to the priesthood in 1939, he studied composition, organ, and church music at the State Academy of Musical Art. He was Master of the Music at the cathedral in Freising from 1949 to 1969, and at the cathedral in Munich from 1969 to 1990.
As Master of the Music, he established standards through his own compositions for an active participation by the congregation in the creation of a living act of worship. He always followed the instruction of the Second Vatican Council that church music has the task of serving the church’s living act of worship.
Eham, who was also a professor at the Academy of Music in Munich, formed several generations of church musicians in the archdiocese.
For more information on Max Eham, see here.